Confession: I’m a terrible cook.
Wait, scratch that. I might actually be amazing at it, I just wouldn’t know because I almost never cook. My life is a series of roti, sushi, and Portuguese chicken takeout. I’ve been known to eat a bag of pistachios for dinner and they just opened a fancy hot dog place near my apartment so game over. My pal MM reminds me of a night years ago when I did an oven baked fish and lemon roasted potatoes when she was over. I must’ve been high because I couldn’t even tell you how to lemon roast anything now. I’ve made the occasional pizza and I’ve had the girls over for tacos a few times. Does that count? Oh and one time I made R a chicken Greek pita thing and she didn’t die so that was fun.
Sometimes I forget I own a crockpot, which is a lazy bozo’s best friend when it comes to cooking. Despite unseasonably warm temperatures in Toronto last weekend (in the high 20s and nothing but sunshine) I decided to cook up a pot of white bean chili this weekend. But when I hit up the grocery store I became intimidated by the whiteness of kidney beans so I decided to do just one can of those and combine with two cans of ‘mixed’ beans. This recipe is so easy I’m almost embarrassed to call it cooking, but here we are.
Bonus points if you don’t dry heave while chopping up raw chicken.
Jenn’s White(ish) Bean Chili with Chicken
(Makes 4-5 servings maybe? I’m not mathy and I’m too lazy to count portions)
What you’ll need:
- 3 cans of white or mixed beans (I used one can of white kidney beans and two cans of President’s Choice mixed beans), drained and rinsed
- 1 large as fuck boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into small pieces (if you want more chicken use two breasts, duh)
- 2 teaspoons of cumin
- 1 teaspoon of oregano
- 2 teaspoons of chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 3 cloves of minced garlic (I used about a tablespoon of the minced garlic you can buy in a jar)
- 1 can of reduced sodium chicken broth (because you’ve gotta cut back somewhere)
- 1 cup of water
- Cheese to top (optional – I used old white cheddar, like a boss)
What to do:
- Plug in crockpot
- Dump all the above in said crockpot
- Set to high
- Cook for 6 hours (I removed the crockpot lid about 3 times to give it a good stir during the cooking process)
- Don’t burn down your apartment
It’s delicious. Try it.